Thursday, September 27, 2007

Birthdays

I've been learning how to applique and embroider on clothing. I have only done a few things but have come a long way since my first shirt that I did. The very first one I did was for Kylee on a shirt that she had a stain on. I covered it with a colorful flower fabric. It turned out cute but I was not thrilled with my work. From afar it looks cute but not upclose and personal. Anyway, I have been practicing with the thought in mind that I would do something for my niece for her 2nd birthday.
The one above is the first one I did
The one below is what I did for my niece. I Found a couple of denim jackets on sale for $2, so I bought all that they had. I thought this turned out good enough to use as a gift and also made a shirt with some of the fabric in flower shapes. I didn't manage to get pics of the shirt but it basically looks like Kylee's shirt above, only better. I really hope they liked it and will put her in it. Kylee will be getting one of these Jackets for the winter and I have a few more just waiting for someone to come along that needs one. What do you think? Would you want your child to receive one of these as a bday gift?

This Picture is really blurry but here she is wearing her new jacket
and here she is really enjoying her cake
The total cost of the entire gift was about $4, I got the jacket for $2 and a plain white shirt for $2 also, and the fabric scraps I used were free and I already had the thread. How do you give nice gift without spending a fortune?


3 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

i LOVE this and must learn how to do it...my daughter is 12 but she loooooooves to dress like her BFF and i can think of tons of cute ways i could make matching stuff that is ALSO "one of a kind"..wait did that make sense?

i think i am still in shock that you found me on blogspot and are LDS too....i sent you a note at myspace...add me...

HolleeAnn

Jean said...

What a great idea and super gift! I can't imagine anyone not loving these. The jacket is adorable and the fact that it was inexpensive is a major bonus. Great job!

kellyo75 said...

I love this! Yes, I would be ECSTATIC if my daughter received one of these as a gift. You should sell them on ebay! Gorgeous. You are a talented mama!